Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Manufacturing Desire and Shaping Identity

I believe brands provide information to consumers and attempt to manufacture desire within them. Consumers choose, through purchase and use, to incorporate the associations, connotations, feelings, and status that they believe is conveyed by a brand within their own identity. Consumers use objects and possessions to communicate who they are to others and form their own self-image.

Personally, I am typically reluctant to own items that loudly advertise themselves, like a t-shirt with a massive Nike swoosh or glasses with a bold D&G on the temple. I sometimes remove labels that are visible even if I like the company, like the Coal winter hat I have. Most of the things I own are quiet self-advertisers, however, there are a few items that I don't mind having their logo showing, probably because I relate strongly to the company and product. For example, my Freitag bag and Sigg bottle both have branding visible, although relatively subtle, on their exterior. I imagine these brands closely align with who I think I am and how I want others to view me.

No comments:

Post a Comment